Each day our bodies need certain amounts of nutrients that are found in different foods.
Builds and maintains body tissues, provides a source of energy and can enhance metabolism. Eat two to three servings, from different sources, every day.
- It’s found in animal sources like meat, fish, poultry, eggs and dairy products
- It’s found in plant foods like beans and lentils and soybeans, which unlike animal proteins, have no cholesterol and less fat
Healthy proteins include fish, chicken soybeans and lentils.
A major source of fuel for the body that is critical for daily functioning, including exercise.
- Whole grains, including whole-grain breads, pastas and cereals and brown rice
Colorful fruits and vegetables also supply needed antioxidants and phytonutrients.
- Sweets and sugars because they have no fiber, vitamins or minerals
Incorporate Healthy Carbs into Your Diet:
- Try filling half your plate with salads and vegetables
- Have fruits and veggies for snacks and use whole-grain breads for sandwiches
Fat has several functions in our daily diets.
- It helps maintains our brains and nervous system
- Helps absorption of fat-soluble vitamins
- Adds flavor to foods
- Keeps our eyes, skin, bones and nails healthy
Healthy Fats Come From:
- Fish and fish oil
- Olive oil
To Keep Fat Intake Down:
- Avoid any fried foods
- Bake, roast, broil or steam your food
- Go easy on sauces, gravies, salad dressings, mayonnaise, butter and margarine
- Try low or nonfat versions of foods (e.g. milk, yogurt, spreads, salad dressings and snack foods)
- Let Formula 1 Nutritional Shake Mix fill you up without filling you out
Incorporate Healthy Fats into Your Diet:
- Have fish a few times a week
- Add a handful of nuts or some avocado to a salad
- Use olive oil sparingly in cooking
Fiber is essential for healthy digestion and for keeping the digestive system in balance.
- It helps to move foods through the digestive tract
- It is found in vegetables, fruits, beans, oats, whole-grain rice and pasta, whole wheat bread, nuts, seeds and branser is essential for healthy digestion and for keeping the digestive system in balance.